Windows 7 Can I install VirtualBox VM onto a USB3 Flash Drive?

catilley1092

Extraordinary Member
Last month, I bought a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD for my MSI FX603-064US notebook. Performance is excellent, couldn't ask for more, especially given the bottleneck, the SSD is designed for SATA3, my MB is SATA2.

But I have a concern. I've read forum posts & articles that states that it's not good to run VM's on a SSD, even in the Data partition, where it now is. I have an XP MCE VM running via VirtualBox, mainly for testing & using XP from time to time. It also performs excellent on the SSD, boots as fast as my main install (Win 7 Pro x64) does.

First off, is it true that running a VM on a SSD is hard on it, or is that a myth? I only run it (the VM) 2 or 3 times a month.

Secondly, if so, can I run my VM on a USB3 Flash Drive, such as this one?

Newegg.com - ADATA Value-Driven S102 Pro Effortless Upgrade 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (Gray) Model AS102P-16G-RGY

That should be enough space for my use, as I'll probably uninstall Office 2010 from the VM to conserve space. Although I could have installed XP Mode instead, I tried it & didn't like it, as only 24 bit color can be achieved, & that's by adding a registry entry. It doesn't even act as a regular install, even lending it 3GB RAM.

And finally, if I do this, does the flash drive have to be inserted all of the time, or only when running the VM? I don't want this to be a permanent mount.

Many thanks for any answers given.

Cat

Last edited:
"Bump"! Does anyone have any answer(s) to my concerns here? Actually, I'd like to buy the USB3 Flash drive & do this, but would like to hear from anyone who has. USB3 should be faster than the original 5400rpm mechanical HDD that was in the computer when bought.

Cat

Back
Chat with our AI Assistant ×